Open Medical Record System
On Daily basis millions of people are infected with diseases such as HIV/AIDS, multi-drug resistant tuberculosis, and malaria. In developing countries, lack of education and resources raises the number of preventable deaths. To handle the needs of treatment an efficient information management system is needed but many developing countries still use paper records. OpenMRS was created as a response to these challenges in developing countries.
What is OpenMRS?
OpenMRS is a software platform and a reference application which enables design of a customized medical records system with no programming knowledge (although medical and systems analysis knowledge is required). It is a common platform upon which medical informatics efforts in developing countries can be built. The system is based on a conceptual database structure which is not dependent on the actual types of medical information required to be collected or on particular data collection forms and so can be customized for different uses.
OpenMRS is a free, open source software, which enables the system to be as widely accessible as possible by sites with limited funding. The system is based on open standards for medical data exchange such as HL7, allowing the exchange of patient data with other medical information systems. In Rwanda, the program has developed tools in general primary care and chronic disease management, such as heart failure. It also allows non-programmers to report outcomes and other important data for HIV/AIDS, TB and other diseases.
OpenMRS is designed to be a generic medical record system that can support the care of patients, gathering observations, encounters, notes, and other data from the healthcare system and rendering those in summaries, reports, and data views that would improve the effectiveness of the people using the system.
This is an incomplete list of OpenMRS features “out of the box”. Our many add-on modules make it easy to infinitely expand and extend the system.
● Central concept dictionary: Definitions of all data (both questions and answers) are defined in a centralized dictionary, allowing for robust, coded data
● Security: User authentication
● Privilege-based access: User roles and permission system
● Patient repository: Creation and maintenance of patient data, including demographics, clinical observations, encounter data, orders, etc.
● Multiple identifiers per patient: A single patient may have multiple medical record numbers
● Data entry: With the FormEntry module, clients with InfoPath (included in Microsoft Office 2003 and later) can design and enter data using flexible, electronic forms. With the HTML FormEntry module, forms can be created with customized HTML and run directly within the web application.
● Data export: Data can be exported into a spreadsheet format for use in other tools (Excel, Access, etc.)
● Standards support: HL7 engine for data import
● Modular architecture: An OpenMRS Module can extend and add any type of functionality to the existing API and webapp.
● Patient workflows: An embedded patient workflow service allows patient to be put into programs (studies, treatment programs, etc.) and tracked through various states.
● Cohort management: The cohort builder allows you to create groups of patients for data exports, reporting, etc.
● Relationships: Relationships between any two people (patients, relatives, caretakers, etc.)
● Patient merging: Merging duplicate patients
● Localization / internationalization: Multiple language support and the possibility to extend to other languages with full UTF-8 support.
● Support for complex data: Radiology images, sound files, etc. can be stored as “complex” observations
● Reporting tools: Flexible reporting tools
● Person attributes: The attributes of a person can be extended to meet local needs
We offer complete services to implement, customize openMRS. To know more contact us.